WiMAX Forum Certification Programs
The ultimate goal of the WiMAX Forum is to promote and accelerate the introduction of cost-effective conformant broadband wireless access services into the marketplace. This is achieved using standards-based, interoperable solutions that drive performance levels unachievable by proprietary approaches.
As the exclusive organization dedicated to certifying the interoperability of IEEE 802.16e products, the WiMAX Forum defines and conducts conformance and interoperability testing on differing vendor systems. Passing the suite of tests achieve the “WiMAX Forum Certified” designation.
WiMAX Forum Certified products attest to their conformance to IEEE 802.16e enabling complete interoperability worldwide. Certified products that have been through the certification program will reduce investment uncertainties for all parties in the access network value chain, from technology providers to service providers to end users.
Network operators yield more interoperability options,
- Flexibility of deploying broadband wireless systems from multiple vendors
- Knowledge that all products deployed, if certified, will interoperate seamlessly, thereby reducing the overall investment risk and creating a price-competitive marketplace.
Vendors claiming their equipment is “WiMAX-like,” WiMAX-compliant,” or just plain WiMAX are not WiMAX Forum Certified. This means that their equipment has no guarantee of interoperability with other vendors’ equipment. Equipment that is WiMAX Forum Certified attests to the interoperability between WiMAX Forum Certified equipment. This gives network operators, the confidence and flexibility of seamlessly deploying broadband wireless infrastructures from multiple vendors, thereby reducing the overall investment risk and creating a price-competitive marketplace.
The WiMAX Forum has Designated Certification Labs (WFDCLs) that can accept applications for Mobile and Fixed product certification. APPLICATIONS FOR PRODUCT CERTIFICATION CAN ONLY BE SUBMITTED BY A MEMBER OF THE WIMAX FORUM.
A member of the WiMAX Forum initiates the certification process by:
- Submit an online application via WiMAXCert.
- Choose a WFDCL (List Below).
- If desired, choose a WiMAX Certification Body (WCB) (List Below).
- Pay a Reservation deposit.
If you are re-certifying or utilizing a previously certified module you would add the following step:
- Have the application reviewed by the chosen WCB to determine the amount of retesting required.
||The WiMAX Forum offers a WiGRID Certification through annual testing events. WiGRID and WiMAX Forum Certified products attest to their conformance to IEEE Std 802.16.1-2012™ ensuring interoperability worldwide. Certified products that have been through the certification program will reduce investment uncertainties for all parties in the access network value chain, from technology providers to service providers to end users.
The WiMAX Certification Body (WCB), are individuals that review and verify all WFDCL certification test results and manufacturer declarations against the requirements and make certification decisions based on the supplied objective evidence.
WFDCL or the WCB may remove from the testing queue any non-compliant hardware that is impeding the progress of testing other certification-ready products. A WFDCL may also charge a testing fee (with proper authorization) if a product requires additional troubleshoot testing because of non-compliance to a tested feature. At the completion of the troubleshooting, the WFDCL reverts back to the certification testing under the agreed project plan. It is the responsibility of the WFDCL, when needed, to subcontract and pay a foreign WCB for work.
Revised certified devices may not be required to go through the entire certification test suite. The chosen WCB will review the revision and make a decision as to the required degree of WFDCL re-certification testing. At the completion of the testing the test results and manufacturers declarations are again submitted to the WCB for the certification decision.
Questions about the WiMAX Certification Tool, Certification pricing, Testing / Validation laboratories, WCBs or the certification process should be directed to the Chair of the WiMAX Forum Technical Steering Committee, Richard Hawkins, as well as to the particular WFDCL lab.
The necessary test cases are defined in the following WiMAX Forum specifications which have been derived from IEEE 802.16.
- Mobile Test Suite Structure and Purposes (Protocol) Specification
- Mobile Radio Conformance Tests
- Mobile Interoperability Test Specification (this is based on a combination of test scenarios of how equipment is suppose to operate in a network along with following protocols from IEEE 802.16e-2005 Rev 2 (i.e. registration, network entry, handoff, etc.)
- Radio Requirements Test Specification (this is not derived from IEEE 802.16e-2005 Rev 2 spec)
- Radiated Performance Test Specification (this is not derived from IEEE 802.16e-2005 Rev 2 spec)
- Network Conformance Testing (NCT)
- Infrastructure Inter-Operator Testing (iIOT)
WiMAX Forum Designated Certification Laboratories (WFDCL):
No. 19, Hwa Ya 2nd Rd, Wen Hwa Tsuen
Kwei Shan Hsiang, Taoyuan Hsien 333
52 Hua Yuan Bei Lu
AeroMACS Designated Certification Laboratories (ADCL) &
WiGRID Designated Certification Laboratories (WDCL):
12388 - 88 Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia
Canada V3W 7R7
WiMAX Certification Bodies (WCB)